Yes it’s nearly here, only one more sleep until the new regulations are in place.
Did you know that when you go shopping today any packaging that has information about allergens is done voluntarily, and has only be done voluntarily for a long time.
The exciting news is, as from tomorrow (13th December, incase the scheduling on this post goes wrong!) it will be a legal requirement.
This will mean that the top 14 allergens will need to be declared
- Cereals containing gluten namely wheat (such as spelt and Khorasan wheat), barley, rye and oats
- Crustaceans like prawns, crabs, lobster and crayfish etc.
- Nuts namely almonds, hazelnuts, walnuts, pecan nuts, Brazil nuts, pistachio, cashew, Macadamia or Queensland nut.
- Sulphur dioxide or sulphites (where added and is >10mg/kg in the finished product. Often found in dried fruit and wine)
- Molluscs like clams, scallops, squid, mussels, oysters and snails etc.